We offer a welcoming and safe space to address issues of intimacy and connection.
Intimate relationships can become strained when communication breaks down, or when the complexities and hard realities of life build rifts where there should be bridges. Couple and family counseling can provide an opportunity to examine and repair the connections within these relationships, often by clarifying the messages and expectations that can become so muddled under the press of competing schedules, obligations, roles, and needs.
We offer couple and family counseling in a welcoming and safe space.
Goals of couple and family therapy:
1. Change the views of the relationship. Throughout the therapeutic process, the therapist attempts to help both partners see the relationship in a more objective manner. They learn to stop the “blame game” and instead look at what happens to them as a process involving each partner.
2. Modify dysfunctional behavior. Effective couples therapists attempt to change the way that the partners actually behave with each other. This means that in addition to helping them improve their interactions, therapists also need to ensure that their clients are not engaging in actions that can cause physical, psychological, or economic harm.
3. Decrease emotional avoidance. Couples who avoid expressing their private feelings put themselves at greater risk of becoming emotionally distant and hence grow apart. Effective couples therapists help their clients bring out the emotions and thoughts that they fear expressing to the other person.
4. Improve communication. All effective couples therapies focus on helping the partners to communicate more effectively.
5. Promote strengths. Effective couples therapists point out the strengths in the relationship and build resilience particularly as therapy nears a close.
Email us, or call 703.680.4200 x121